Friday, February 25, 2011

Etched in Bone by Adrian Phoenix

Etched in Bone (The Maker's Song)From Goodreads:
SON OF A FALLEN ANGEL. FORGED IN VAMPIRE’S BLOOD. SWORN TO A MORTAL WOMAN. IF DANTE FALLS, THE WORLD FALLS WITH HIM. . . . 
THREE LEGACIES ETCHED IN BONE
More beautiful and powerful than any creature the world has ever seen, Dante Baptiste has become the supreme target of the three worlds that spawned him. The mortal agents of the Shadow Branch have tried to control his mind through psychological torture. The vampire elders who guide nightkind society have plotted to use him in their bloodthirsty bid for power. And the Fallen have waited for millennia for Dante to claim his birthright as their Maker. But Dante belongs to no one—except the woman he loves. . . .
 
ONE PASSION SWORN IN BLOOD
Determined to face the Fallen and the world on his own terms, Dante hopes to piece together his shattered past and claim his future, with FBI agent Heather Wallace at his side. But in Heather’s human family awaits an unexpected enemy. One who could rip Heather from Dante’s heart and fill the holes with bullets. One who could force Dante to choose his darkest destiny—as the Great Destroyer. . . .
This is book 4 of the Maker's Song series. As some have stated *coughMissiecough* think I'm insane for starting series in the middle. Especially this series *coughPam/Spazcough*. Sometimes, I admit... I am. :) Not all series can be started anywhere but many can so I often throw caution to the wind when I get the chance to read a series I've been wanting to get into for a bit. This series should be started from the beginning. There is just an overload of information that I have no doubt would flow much easier when totally acquainted with these characters and the world they inhabit. I will say this... even though I was lost at times the writing did have me captivated and I want to know more. Oh yes... Ms. Phoenix has me interested and captivated. I will be reading the first three books in this series and then come back to this book.

I will give this book 4 stars. Even though it isn't a stand alone in my opinion, I feel that the writing, characters and the world do deserve big acknowledgement. Oh, and I do warn you... the ending is a cliffhanger.

I received this book from the publisher and no compensation for my review was given.

Books in the series:
  1. A Rush of Wings
  2. In the Blood
  3. Beneath the Skin
  4. Etched in Bone

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I have been honoured with the One Lovely Blog Award, and would love to pass it along to you (courtesy of Mysteriousbooks).

    If you're not into accepting awards, no problem . . . please take this as an admiration of the work you do. :-)

    Link: http://mysteriousrose.blogspot.com/2011/02/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you enjoyed it! I wish I liked A Rush of Wings more then I would give this one a try. I have just decided UF on a whole isn't my favorite---darn me and my want of a HEA LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right, two least fav creatures in one book (ok, in one series) - how not to be curious? My keyboard is already dripping venom at the mere thought of writing a review. Good pick - you know how to goad me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa.... You started this series in the middle? I don't think I would ever be able to do that! Snaps for you! Oh yes, and I suppose that the book sounds pretty good too!
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can sometimes start a book series in the middle, but more with books like the Black Dagger Brotherhood or the book you reviewed yesterday where each book focuses on a different set of characters set in the same world. I don't know that I could start this one in the middle and figure everything out! Kudos to you Melissa:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bwahahahahaha!

    Told you! *resists urge to stick out tongue in mocking way*

    Never heard of this series before. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You brave reader you! I never used to start series in the middle but I'm starting to think I should...

    This is one series I was considering taking a closer look at. Glad you liked it - even starting mid-way through the series!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Mysteriousrose... Thanks! Very sweet of you!

    @Felicia... Yea, if you don't like UF, then this one isn't for you. :) If there is an HEA, they come slowly in the series. :D

    @anachronist... bwa ha ha! ;)

    @Avery... I wanted to know what this series was about. *shrugs* I'm a curious one. :)

    @Jenny... True, and I didn't figure out everything but it made me want to start at the beginning.

    @Missie... Hey! You know what they say happens to people who do that? Little low flying birdies tend to "drop" in on you... *evil laugh*

    @Mel... I did like it, but I now need to know more from the beginning. One good thing about this, is that I have so many questions for the earlier books the cliffhanger didn't bother me! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the sound of this, but yes I think I would go back to book 1 :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've started series in the middle before. Call me crazy! Besides it probably suits your artistic and non-linear thinking, Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Blodeuedd... yes.. this one I think book one is a must.

    @Stephanie... YaY! I'm not alone in the nut house! ;D Oh, and I LOVE your explanation. I'm going to use that from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have this series in my wishlist! Thanks for the review Mel!

    I will wait for more books to be out in the series, I dont wanna deal with a cliffhanger anytime soon LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've read one and two and will definitely be continue. Plus, there is another series the author has that sounds fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I have the first three books of this series on my shelf here. I really want to get into it as it does sound like a great series to read. :) Glad you enjoyed this one and hope you go back to read the other three. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!